Thurmont Green Team Sustainable Maryland Certified Resource Center
Sustainable Maryland is a certification program for municipalities in Maryland that want to go green, save money and take steps to sustain their quality of life over the long term. Sustainable Maryland Certified is a collaborative effort between the Environmental Finance Center (EFC) at the University of Maryland and the Maryland Municipal League to replicate the success of the Sustainable Jersey initiative throughout the Mid-Atlantic States, beginning in Maryland.https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sustainable-Maryland/521853801237363
The Green Homes Challenge guides, rewards, and recognizes households for saving energy, adopting green lifestyle practices, and using renewable energy.
The University of Maryland Office of Sustainability supports and advances environmental performance, economic prosperity and social equality through a variety of initiatives. The staff facilitate the development and implementation of sustainable policies, practices and curricula for the campus community by:
Town Creek Foundation
The Town Creek Foundation is a private philanthropic foundation dedicated to a sustainable environment. In support of this mission, we make grants to non-profit organizations that work to promote ecological sustainability.
Environmental Protection Agency
Our mission is to protect human health and the environment.
Sustainability is based on a simple principle: Everything that we need for our survival and well-being depends, either directly or indirectly, on our natural environment. To pursue sustainability is to create and maintain the conditions under which humans and nature can exist in productive harmony to support present and future generations.
Maryland Sustainable Communities
- Educating the campus community about sustainability
- Developing sustainability programming that affects student education and campus operations
- Fostering collaboration between units of the university and external resources
- Consulting with campus departments (administrative and academic) to find ways of reducing environmental impacts and promoting sustainability
- Coordinating efforts to meet the goals of the American College and University Presidents Climate Commitment
- Measuring and reporting on-campus sustainability efforts
- Providing outreach to individuals and organizations both internal and external to the University
- Supporting the University Sustainability Council